Thursday, November 10, 2011

Belated Breakfasts (Pumpkin Spice Waffles)

The last few weeks have been busy at our 9-to-5, but this week afforded us the opportunity for a delightful visit from Michelle and Christina from Martha Stewart Omnimedia.  Not only did they put on an engaging presentation, they were great to speak with - we had the opportunity to discuss cooking, the blog, Martha (of course), and much more.  It was certainly a highlight for both J and I (especially J, who, as mentioned previously, 'grew up with Martha,' so to speak).

That being said, things have been generally hectic, and the barrage of deadlines and obligations can quickly become a lot if you don't take the time to relax and enjoy something simple and delicious, like a homemade Sunday morning breakfast.  A few weeks ago, J mentioned that I would soon bring to you my pumpkin pancakes.  Unfortunately for J, I decided not to make pancakes; fortunately for me (and perhaps you), I DID make pumpkin waffles.

The prize


You see, making breakfast for us on Sunday morning is kind of my thing.  First of all, I'm an annoyingly early riser (it annoys even me).  Second, J has been in love with the way I handle making pancakes since the first time I made them for him.  There's only one problem: I'm not such a fan of pancakes, and would prefer waffles, or even French toast, to a 'flapjack.'  I'll note that 95% of the time, I make J pancakes, but every so often I slip in the waffles.  This is one of those occasions.

The recipe I bring to you is an adaption of Cinnamon-Pumpkin Waffles.  I adjusted the recipe slightly, omitting the wheat germ (I didn't have any on hand), replacing the clove with nutmeg, adding vanilla extract, and using a full cup of pumpkin puree in lieu of a 1/2 cup of pumpkin and 1/2 cup of apple sauce - I wanted MORE pumpkin flavor!

It's all about the pumpkin

Pumpkin Spice Waffles
Adapted from Cinnamon-Pumpkin Waffles

1 c whole wheat flour
1/3 c packed brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbs baking powder
3/4 c milk
1 c pumpkin puree
2 tbs melted butter
2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
2 eggs

Preheat a waffle iron according to your model's instructions.  In a medium bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, salt, and baking powder.  Set aside.

The dry guys

In a large bowl, beat together milk, pumpkin puree, butter, EVOO, and eggs.  Stir the dry ingredients into the wet, being careful not to over-stir (just enough to combine).
Mix, mix, mix

Using a measuring cup or ladle, spoon batter onto the waffle iron.  Cook the waffles until golden and crisp, approximately 5 to 7 minutes, depending on your waffle iron.  Yields 8 waffles.

On their way to greatness
Enjoy!

3 comments:

Laura said...

Cloves plus waffles equals travesty. I didn't realize this universal truth was in dispute. I may write to my congressman. I'm glad to see people like A stepping up to do the right thing here.

Unknown said...

Laura, I will always make a stand for what's right - that I guarantee!

KJL said...

Made these today. Comfort food for a bad weather day.

This recipe made three jumbo waffles in my 8" diameter round waffle iron.